Here are my new power rankings for this week. I will be updating them throughout the season along with some facts about each team in the top 10. These are based on what I’ve seen so far and are not indicative of what may come. It’s a long season and these will inevitably change. Whether you agree or disagree, here they are. Let the arguments begin.
1. New York Yankees (30-13) Even though they only played three full games this week, the Yankees have the best record in baseball. They are right behind the Sox for the most home runs (67). They are also the only team with a BB rate of above 11%. The Yankees have 4 players with 10 or more home runs.
2. Boston Red Sox (32-15) The Sox are percentage points behind the Yankees for first place. J.D. Martinez and Mookie Betts are the first teammates in Sox history to have 15 HRs in the team’s first 50 games. They are also only one run behind the Yankees for the major league lead.
3. Houston Astros (30-18) Their team ERA is 2.43. To put this in perspective, the second best team in the AL is the Red Sox at 3.60. Aside from Dallas Keuchel, the starting staff is 21-5 with 1.95 ERA.
4. Atlanta Braves (28-17) The Braves offense continues to lead the NL in Runs, BA, and SLG. Ozzie Albies has 30 XBH and they have 6 of their 8 starting position players above a .760 OPS.
6. Philadelphia Phillies (26-18) Aaron Nola has pitched like an ace with a 2.37 ERA and a 6-2 record. The Phillies have 5 players with 6 or more HRs. Odubel Herrera has broken out so far with a .955 OPS while he and teammate Nick Markakis are neck and neck for the NL BA lead.
7. Chicago Cubs (25-19) Lester, Chatwood, and Hendricks all have sub 3.40 ERAs. The bullpen has been surprisingly solid with Morrow, Cishek, Strop, and Duensing all with sub 1.75 ERAs. They also lead the NL in OBP at .341.
8. St. Louis Cardinals (25-19) Tommy Pham has proven to be the real deal with 8 HRs and 8 SBs so far. Their pitching has been great as usual. They have a 3.47 ERA and have allowed the fewest HRs in the NL.
9. Seattle Mariners (27-19) Dee Gordon has been a great signing hitting .304 with 16 SBs. Mitch Haniger has been a steal with a .951 OPS and 11 HRs and 36 RBI. The pitching has been carried by James Paxton with a 3.30 ERA and Edwin Diaz with 15 Saves.
10. Pittsburgh Pirates (26-20) The Pirates are third in the league in Runs scored. They have also struck out the second least amount of times in the NL. Corey Dickerson is looking like a great free agent signing with a slash of .307/.343/.494.